[alfa] One thing after another--Spider oil pressure zero

Hello list,

Apologies for my ignorance, but you are my only
resource!

Driving my 1978 Spider yesterday I noticed that the
oil pressure gauge was at 0. Not really thinking,
sitting at at idle, I said to myself "Hmm, that''s
odd, it usually takes more driving for it to warm up
that much." Then it struck me that even when fully
warmed up the pressure never goes ALL the way down at
idle. As I started up again from a red light, I saw
that the gauge was not responding. I don't know how
long it had been out, but I drove only about 15 miles
yesterday and one mile today before thinking I
probably shouldn't be driving it at all until I find
out what's going on.

The car feels normal. It drives as it always does. I
know there is plenty of oil in it. I am not aware of
any new, sudden oil leak, and, as I say, there is
plenty of oil in it. There are no odd smells. The
temperature is normal.

My question: I am guessing that I've just lost my
gauge as the fuel pressue warning light is not coming
on. Does that make sense? Or are the gauge and the
light linked so that they would always fail together?
Is there any easy way to tell whether I actually have
no oil pressure? Wouldn't there be other symptoms if I
really had no pressure? Would the car even be
driveable? (see what I mean about ignorance--I love
the car, I just don't understand it). The closest
place that knows how to work on this car is 18 miles
away.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Colin