[alfa] Re: Considering a 1986 GTV-6 with "issues"...

Hi Joe,
I'll run through these items one by one giving you my experience from having
purchased and lived with such a car for 4-1/2 years. Which I loved by the way.

In a message dated 9/27/04 12:38:00 AM, owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:
<< Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 12:48:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: Joe Garcia <lacorsanostra@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Considering a 1986 GTV-6 with "issues"...how much $$ to set
right?

Digestivi,
This past Wed. I flew up to Chicago (had to see
clients anyway) and test drove one of several GTV-6s I
am considering for purchase; a 1986 GTV-6 with 57K
miles.

Overall, the car was (is) very clean and seems to be
reasonably well maintained. --

Unless a GTV6 is really treated badly, it will vaccuume up pretty nice.

1- The doughnuts seem to no longe be doughnutting
properly. --- I never did have to do the doughnuts on mine but many many GTV6
owners have done this on their own. You will learn a lot by doing it.

2- The car seemed a bit, um, I dunno..."rattle-y" so I
am guessing that a full complement of bushings--- You are thinking good
thoughts here. This will take much of the guess work out of the mix while you try
to figure out the ride height and handling issues.

3- Paint...the car had been repainted, ostensibly
recently and supposedly the same color (AR536--or was
that AR537?--Rosso Veneziano, according to the plaque
on the underside of the hatch) but the paint job
seemed Not Quite Tidy...  Mine had a "new" paint job too (thanks Earl
Scheib). It was done to cover up the rust that was cropping. Rust is what finally
broke my heart on the GTV6.

4- The bezel around the sunroof handle was cracked,
and I fear it may be made of unobtainium.  --  No biggy. I've never seen one
of these anyway.

5- The tachometer had the dreaded "bounce" at rest.
(It held steady while in motion) -- Fixable, takes some time. You'll figure
out the places to buy parts for such items.

6- There was one T-I-N-Y (maybe 0.25" long) crack in
the dashboard.  -- Can you say "DashMat?" It will break up the noonday sunglar
e from the shiney vinyl dash too.

7- Lastly, the seller could not definitively answer
whether the timing belt had been replaced --  I'd never trust anyones
assertions about the waterpump, timing belt, or gaskets unless it was a close,
reputable friend (and I was right there helping them do the job). Seriously, people
have terrible recollections about these repairs, and if a GTV6 seller is going
to lie to you it will be about these items. I shelled out about $2,500
dollars to have our cities best Alfa mechanic do these repairs on mine and never
regreted it. I was really cash-poor for a while but, it was cash well spent.

Joe, I think the rust is a deal breaker on this car. All the rest of the GTV6
is quite fixable but, that rust was more than I could overcome on mine.
If you want to really do some hardcore body work I'd say "go for it" but
other wise, pass. There are rust free GTV6 out there for sale. You pay a premium
but I think it would be worth it. You will love the GTV6. It is an incredible
car. You'll love it longer if you start with a solid (rust-less) car.

I hope these prattlings are of some use to you.
Sincerely,
Jim Oiler
1984 GTV6 (gone and missed much)
1991 164L (live on my galvanized stallion)