Re: [alfa] Timing belts, chains, fwd, and the Feds

At 9/22/2004 07:57 PM, you wrote:
I understand the wizards working for the US Federal Government think cars require too much maintenance. I believe the push to timing chains originates with a potential requirement that engines should require no emissions related servicing for the first 100,000 miles. Rubber belts cannot be made to last that long.
Acura disagrees with you. The timing belt replacement interval for California model 1996 Acura 2.5 TL's is 100k miles. I also know that the person who owns this car has a bit over 100k miles and have not changed the belt yet.
I have first hand experience with a 1987 Mazda B2000 that went 110k miles before the first belt was changed. The belt that came out still looked to be
in excellent condition. The second belt was changed at 240k miles, so it lasted longer than the first one.