[alfa] Timing belts, chains, fwd, and the Feds

I understand the wizards working for the US Federal Government think cars require too much maintenance. I believe the push to timing chains originates with a potential requirement that engines should require no emissions related servicing for the first 100,000 miles. Rubber belts cannot be made to last that long. Timing chains routinely last twice or three times that long, despite what others might suggest. I don't know anybody that had to replace a timing chain. I know one person who got a defective tensioner in his SAAB engine which required a new tensioner, but the original chain remained in place (some SAAB 99 engines used British Leyland tensioners from the TR7 which used a related engine, SAAB had no trouble after they went to their own spec tensioner). My current SAAB 9000 T with a twin cam 16 valve head and single row chain has 280,000 km on the original timing chain components. It is expected to outlast the body on the car, just beginning to show surface rust around the wheel arches. Why routine servicing of an engine is deemed to be unacceptable is beyond my understanding since oil changes will still have to be made. Except, it seems that the Feds think the average US car owner knows nothing about maintenance requirements. Ironic considering that very few US car owners keep their new cars for much more than 2 or 3 years.....

Timing belts have been used for a long time with great success. FIAT managed to convert an iron head ohv engine into a pretty fine aluminum head twin cam by using a belt drive, for not a lot of money and those belts were not known for breaking. The sweet little 128 engine was a delight, rubber timing belt.

When Audi tried to shoe horn a V8 into the latest A4 bodyshell to create the new S4 they switched to a chain for packaging reasons. I believe the other versions of this engine still use a belt. Audi also shifted the timing drives to the rear of the engine so it would fit.

Finally, fwd is inherently safer and more efficient for most drivers. For any passenger car under 200 hp fwd is demonstrably superior. It is definitely not cheaper to build. It does allow a lighter vehicle to be built with the same performance. And most cars are dropped onto their drivetrains these days, the drivetrain is fitted from underneath, often fully mounted on the subframe with suspension and steering. For most cars you probably need to separate the drivetrain to pull parts out from above.

Cheers

Michael Smith
White 1991 164L
Original owner