[alfa] Valve spring spacers question

I'm in more than somewhat of a quandary in that I want to drop off a 1750 head to the machinist tomorrow, but am more than somewhat confused by the various shims underneath the valve springs.

While I'm aware there are tools to test the "pressure" (if that's the correct term) of valve springs, I've never paid much attention to them regarding Alfa 4-cylinder engines. If there isn't that many miles on an engine and it hasn't sat for long, just reuse the valve springs. If not the case, replace.

In this case the engine was rebuilt over 20 years ago by Dave Veghar, who I totally respect even if he has moved away from Alfas.

Perhaps I should be embarrassed by this, but I've never been able to remove what the official parts manual calls "Seat, Lower". I personally would call it the valve spring lower cup.

However, a few of the "Seats, Lower" came out when I put a fairly powerful magnet on them. In the case of the 2nd shot on my enclosed URL you will see (since I put them in order of removal) the spacer which proclaims "This Side Up - V.S.I. - 300" was underneath the "Seats, Lower", then the "seats lower", then a thin spacer, then the springs.

I'm not trying to prove something was done incorrectly in the past, but simply wondering if there is something very esoteric regarding the fitting of the valve springs and I should get with the program.

Also a bit confused as to how the inlet valves seem to have a thin but fairly shiny "mating" surface, however the exhaust valves look like crap.

http://www.alfacybersite.com/BR0137Spd.html

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA