From: C M Smith <cmsmith@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Timing belts, chains, fwd, and the Feds

<snip> Timing chains routinely last twice or
three times that long, despite what others might suggest. I don't know
anybody that had to replace a timing chain. I know one person who got a
defective tensioner in his SAAB engine which required a new tensioner, but
the original chain remained in place (some SAAB 99 engines used British
Leyland tensioners from the TR7 which used a related engine, SAAB had no
trouble after they went to their own spec tensioner). My current SAAB 9000
T with a twin cam 16 valve head and single row chain has 280,000 km on the
original timing chain components. It is expected to outlast the body on the
car, just beginning to show surface rust around the wheel arches.