[alfa] Re: chains vs belts for cams

Biba waxed eloquent (and with Biba, what else?) on this topic.  I raised
the same topic on the Alfa 164 Digest "can one fit a chain?" and got
very clear answers summing to: "No.  And why wouldn't a properly
maintained belt do as well or better?"  The basic thought was that the
belt itself is no problem, but that the need to oil a chain was a
problem and there was no way to retrofit to a chain.  The basic problem
that keeps surfacing is that the tensioner supplied for Alfa V6's fails
more often than it should.

I rather like the solution mentioned by several posters of disabling the
oil feed to the old-style tensioner.  I purchased a '93 164L with a
failed tensioner spring.  The failure wasn't apparent until it was
disassembled to replace the belt/tensioner, but was largely an
installation error.  The belt was a little loose in the Florida
environment on a cold engine, but up in S.E. Virginia's winter freezing
temps, it really started slapping around until the engine heated up.  My
wife's '91 had no apparent problem with its timing belt but the lack of
confirmation of a T.B. change since 1997 and 60 k mi.  This would have
made a wiser man head immediately for the parts suppliers and his phone,
but I waited 4-5 months before doing the deed.  I'm happy to say the
wait was not accompanied by woe and anguish, but when I pulled the belt
and tensioner off, the spring was broken.  It must have broken on
removal, because the belt had shown no signs of mis-tensioning.  Or
maybe I just had a warning shot from the automotive world about deferred
maintenance.  But the belt tensioner didn't work _at all_ after
removal.  It had abolutely no spring tension.

If I had it to do over again, and if I had an old-style tensioner, I
would probably either install it as intended with a new seal kit (after
verifying dimensions against wear) or plug the oil path and use it as a
simple spring tensioner.  That said, the esteemed Alfisto Steve
maintains that he has only had positive experiences with the mech.
tensioner.  But I know from seeing him work just how careful he is with
installations.  I seriously doubt all installers take that level of care
with cleanliness and checking the mechanical parts prior to
installation.  I know I wouldn't have been so careful without seeing him
at work first.

Probably more than enough said from a non-engineer and only part-time
shade-tree mechanic.

Michael