[alfa] V6 hydraulic tensioner

I recently reverted to the oil-fed hydraulic tension on my 1991 164b. (There is not one flat spot on my driveway and I was worried about possible belt slipage if the car would roll backwards while in gear). Before doing the operation I read what seemed like reams of paper on the subject. The beauty of the oil-fed tensioner, in my opinion--and I say this based on my observation of the tensioner and belt while the engine was running at various speeds--is that it "applies" a very important viscous dampening effect to the adjusting arm. If you recall, this tensioner has a pretension spring, and a regular one, both rated at 22lbs. The pretension spring (also in my opinion) basically deals with the problem of a new belt: within days the belt will stretch (not to mention in 30K miles), as anything made of rubber and thread will do. So, in effect, that pretension of 22lbs disappears pretty rapidly. This is why Fred Di Matteo recommended setting the tension of a new belt so tight so you could "strum" on it. Now this is where the regular spring does its thing, from day 2, to day 730. Many people have pointed out the various (and contradictory) effects of "tight" and "loose" spots in the moving belt, thermal expansion, and changes in the viscosity of the oil, but no matter the scenario, the one thing that the oil-fed tensioner will have is a dampening effect (it can't change the 22lb of pressure of the spring, it simply gives it a steady hand). Now to my observations: at idle, when the dampening effect is the least (with warm engine and thin oil) the hydraulic rod/mechanism tends to move a lot, with the 22lb spring "adding" tension when the moving-flexing belt requires it. At 3,500 rpm the "jumpy" movement of the rod now smoothed out--the power of hydraulics. At faster speeds even more so. Despite the problems of possible oil leakage with age, I maintain that the oil-fed tensioner is an excellent and novel design which and adds stability to belt tensioning that no other design can do. And anyone who compares the quality of the casting of the units (Alfa versus cheap modern replacements, (including Zat, which I have also used) will conclude that you are much better hands with the original Alfa design (again my humble opinion). --Steven Immel