From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided] On Behalf Of
callahantj@domain.elided
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 1:29 AM
To: Alfa Digest alfa digest; hoop1128@domain.elided; acs@domain.elided
Subject: [alfa] re: Lesson #1 - Pride Goes Before the Fall

An update on the Alfetta clutch slave replacement -

The new parts are in from the vendors and I have been slowly removing the
old from the car. I got the two bolts out of the slave cyl mounting and
started removing the cyl from the tranny. This is where I ran into a little
trouble ...

The slave cyl mounts to the transaxle from the rear. The clutch arm is
behind the slave cyl. The mount (thankfully) doesn't move and the clutch arm
is *very* tough to make move. So, how does one remove the slave cyl from
between the proverbial rock and hard place?

The ultimate solution, provided by Steven, involved collapsing the slave
piston into the bore (duh ...). However, it should be noted that, due to the
condition of the slave (leaking, corroded), moving said piston was
difficult. Eventually, it moved (spraying the residual Racing Blue all over
me and the undercarriage) and I was able to remove the old unit from the
car. The new unit is loosely installed (awaiting bleeding).

Now I'm installing the new clutch MC, but that's going slowly. I have a bunk
bed to build, in-laws arriving, and first days of school to finish
experiencing. The MC installation is actually no problem, only finding the
time is the problem. Oh well, it will happen.

Many thanks to the suggestions and help offered by the various digesters,
specifically Steven and Biba. Kudos to the vendors, too (Performatek and
IAP).

Tom
Seattle
7711615