[alfa] Re:alternator problems

Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 21:10:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: Timothy Spruill <captain_hyperion@domain.elided> wrote:
 I think the problem is a bad alternator that produces
 just enough power to keep the car running, but does
 not charge the battery. (which by the way is less than
 a year old)  The reason that I think this is because
 until last weekend my car had a very bad oil leak from
 the left side cam hub.  I have fixed the leak but am
 still cleaning the gunk off the motor and accessories.
  I believe that oil in the alternator is causing the
 problem and am trying to clean it out.  Upon trying to
 remove the alternator for cleaning and inspection, I
 found that the lower large bolt can not be removed all
 the way with the motor in the car.  I think that the
 bracket that it is in could be removed from the oil
 sump but cannot find anything about it in the manual.
 During the entire set of engine rebuilding
 instructions the bracket remains attached to the sump!

 I am wondering, am I headed in the right direction to
 fix the alternator? Is that the likely culprit?  Is
 there any reason that I should not remove the mounting
 bracket from the oil sump?

Tim.

To remove the alternator, jack up the front of the sump about i/2 inch;
the bolt should slide right out provided of course, it's not rusted in
place.

The charging system my not be at fault.  It's common to think that when
your battery fails, it's worn out so you replace it.  When the no-start
syndrome happens again, you suspect the alternator or it's regulator and
thus replace those.  But before you proceed further down this road, I
suggest that you take your car to a good mechanic; someone who owns a
clamp-on DC amp meter and ask him to check your starter amperage draw.
He'll clamp the meter around the ground cable between the battery and the
motor; crank the starter and take a reading.  A good starter should draw
around 100 amps.  A bad starter could be drawing over 400 amps (AMHIK)and
when this happens, your A-OK alternator has difficulty replentishing your
battery, new or otherwise.  The more often you start/stop the car, the
weaker the battery becomes until there is just not enough to start the
system.

Graham L. Davis St. Louis, MO '89 Milano Verde