Re: [alfa] Time required for water pump replacement

Hi Shawn:

I've yet to see a 4-cylinder Alfa overheat because of a worn, or failing water pump. That is of course unless the pump seals are leaking, and have allowed the coolant level to drop. So, first see if you can find the source of the leak, and check to see if the fan belt isn't slipping. Grab the alternator pulley, and make sure you can't turn it by hand, which would indicate a loose or worn belt. Next, loosen the belt and apply some diagonal pressure to the water pump pulley. If the leak isn't coming from the nose of the pump, and if the pulley isn't wobbly, the pump is most likely OK.

If the coolant level hasn't dropped, I'd next check for a failing thermostat, as it's easy to replace and cheap. NAPA #THM138 is the proper double-poppet type, but doesn't come with the correct gasket. The thermostats from most of the Alfa parts vendors will come with a gasket, but not all are the double-poppet type, so ask before purchasing. Might as well get a new cap, too, for the same reasons.

If that fails, it's time to pull the radiator and take it to a shop for a good cleaning, and maybe even a recore. If you do need a recore, make certain that the replacement core has the proper tube and fin density, and beware that many don't. I'd guess a fair price to be ~$200, if you bring the radiator to the shop without the car attached. A 2-row core of the proper type will suffice, and some opt for a 3-row for some reserve capacity, especially on a/c equipped cars or in hot climates. The rest of the cooling system should be flushed until water runs clear, and there are a number of good commercial products available at any auto parts store. Refill with distilled or deionized water and a quality anti-freeze, and if you don't live someplace that gets really cold, 25% anti-freeze will offer better heat transfer than the traditional 50/50 mix. New hoses are cheap, and I wouldn't think of keeping the old ones if I've had the radiator out. Refilling the coolant requires bleeding air from the system. Ask if you need to know how. Don't forget a new belt, too.

Finally, and I actually should have mentioned this first, are you sure the car is overheating? Your gauge may be reading improperly. Check it with another thermometer, if possible. Don't ever drive any Alfa that's actually overheating, as $$$ engine repairs will surely follow.

BTW, if you do need to replace the water pump, it's a pretty straightforward job, with one exception. The two bottom studs through the pump will keep you from getting the pump past the crankshaft pulley once all the nuts are removed, and you don't want to pull the crank pulley. Double-nut and remove the studs, r&r the pump, and use 25mm long bolts with two washers in place of those 2 studs and nuts. Use a socket or box wrench to avoid rounding off the nuts, which always seem to be very soft, although usually not very tight. Since this will be your first time, I'd plan on maybe 4 - 5 hours, and less than 1/2 that the next time. If you take it to a shop, choose very wisely, and mention that trick about the 2 bottom studs.

That's it. Feel free to ask for any clarifications or amplifications you may need.

Regards,

Dean
Lutz, FL
'74 & '87 Spider Veloce's