[alfa] Re: 24Valve 164 Production Numbers

<The production of the 164 with the 24V drivetrain was 13,378 units, of which
6,138 in the Super model (this is the european "LS", or if anyone cares to
elaborate), 863 USA models (I think this includes Canada), plus 206 Q4
models>

Its one thing to own a 'rare' model, but the bald and uncomfortable truth is
that in terms of the investment made into the facelifted range, the sales
figures are an unmitigated disaster. Overall 164 production was about 250,000
with the TS models being predictably the best sellers,so the 24 valvers make a
comparatively poor contribution to this figure.

Apart from it being a shame, it poses the question of how could they get it so
wrong, given that the cars are nice cars . I also ask myself what possessed
Alfa to try again with the 166 which really offered the 'same again' recipe so
closely. The sales figures for 166 are so small they are hardly worth
mentioning. A good car, but not good enough, and nowhere near as reliable as
the 164 was if my spies are correct.

Peugeot are another company that keeps trying to make 'big' cars and keeps
failing. Only Lexus seems to have scaled the BMW/Merc/Audi stronghold and they
did it by attacking the big car market from the top with quality and customer
care as their weapons as the cars are dynamically indifferent. All others have
quality or service issues which don't wash in this market sector, and that is
the nub of the issue as ever with Alfa.

Finally I must of course say this is a European observation as US vehicles are
rare here.

Tim Hancock  Boston UK

164TS
164Super