Re: [alfa] Propeller Shaft Intermediate Bearing

On Behalf Of Andy Menapace
Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 2004
How the Hell do you get this thing off!?!?

"This will be easy!"  (NOT)  Any ideas?  (Easiest thing to to is to cary
your shaft, new parts and wallet to the nearest automotive/machine shop.)

First, remove the front half of the shaft from the car.  Next, pull the
flange with a large 'eared' puller such as for a harmonic balancer;
something that you can bolt to the flange.  (I have a 12 ton press but
the bridge is not wide enought to pass the front end of the driveshaft.)
Then position a large bearing clamp forward of the center support, attach
it to the puller with threaded rods and pull it off.  Removing the
bearing from the center support is difficult (was for me) as the large
spring clip that locks the outer race into the support housing is
problematic.  I was replacing the support anyway, so I destroyed the old
one to salvage the clip.  Be sure you reassemble the correct way with the
support spring clip facing rearward.

Graham L. Davis St. Louis, MO