[alfa] Propeller Shaft Intermediate Bearing

The first and most important step in removing the intermediate shaft yoke is
to mark the spline on both the yoke and the shaft so that the unit will be
correctly balanced when re-assembled.  Although a two-jaw puller and a C
clamp may get the job done, there is the possibility of damaging the yoke
due to the uneven pressure that will be placed on the unit.  A better
solution is to support the yoke with the flat side of a bearing splitter and
use the puller on the bearing splitter its self.  This method will support
all three ears of the yoke evenly.

The best method that I have found to separate the yoke is to use the bearing
splitter in conjunction with a hydraulic press and a propane torch.  Set up
the yoke/prop-shaft in the press (or with your bearing splitter or C-lamp
and 2 jaw puller) and heat the yoke in a circular fashion with the propane
torch and apply pressure on the end of the shaft.  I generally will try
heating the yoke with pressure built up and then let it cool down: 9 times
out of ten the yoke will separate its self from the shaft as the unit cools
down.  Leave the nut on the end of the threaded portion of the shaft so that
the parts will not go flying when the units separate.  If necessary I will
re-heat and apply pressure until the unit separates.  Remember to index the
yoke and shaft splines so that it can be assembled in exactly the same
position as originally assembled at the factory, and do not use a hammer on
any of the ears of the yoke as it is susceptible to damage that will result
in mis-alignment of the yoke ears.

Good Luck,

Rex Chalmers
65 Giulia SS