[alfa] Cross country Alfa sightings

Thanks to all for the well wishes.

So far, only two Alfas spotted, both in down town SF on the day we arrived.
None whatsoever on the ride home.

The GTV continues to get looks, honks, and compliments wherever we go!

I bought this car from a digest listing in the spring, it was a solid runner
with some miles, basically rust free but with a couple of tiny surface
spots, and in need of paint.  The car had been restored in the past, but was
showing its age.  The transmission was horrid, I think it was the only thing
that hadn't been addressed in the 200k mile life of the car.

Lucky for me, I had one in process with Tom Sahines (one of the last before
he got too swamped?), so that went right in.  I dealt with some of the
rattles, and a friend of my bosses stripped it down and painted it for me,
also dealt with some brake work and front suspension bushings.

Now, the car looks great and is a complete joy to drive.  We spent most of
the first half of the trip avoiding major highways, we went through
Yosemite, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Painted Desert, Petrified Forest, etc
etc., then back up through the mountains around Los Alomos in New Mexico.
With the great handling and smooth shifting, the car is just amazing to
drive, I never get tired of it!

Now we're on I70 in Missouri, basically sone poking around and heading home.
The GTV has no problem cruising at 4500 - 5000 RPM in 5th, plenty of passing
power going up hills, we're loving every moment!

This car does so well even by todays standards, I can only imagine how far
ahead of its time it was 31 years ago.

By the way, I've had some good natured arguments on the 'best' GTV.  I'm
still partial to the asthetics of the '69 or '71, and still believe that the
'71 is the more practical, but the answer is, the 'best' GTV is the one
you're DRIVING!!!

bs