Re: [alfa] Unsprung weight

Biba,
it's anything NOT supported by the springs.

So, if you add weight to the item and the car doesn't 'sink' on the springs,
then you've added unsprung weight.  Of course, for small increments one
needs to imagine the above scenario as there may be no perceptible movement.

If you have a high (or is it low ?) sprung-to-unsprung weight ratio then the
vehicle will be easier to make ride comfortably (think XJ-6 Jag, RR etc).
This is because any forces acting to push the wheels upwards, are less
likely to affect the larger mass of the rest of the vehicle; the sprung
weight (mass).  If you compare this to say a Lotus Seven, then the ratio is
quite the opposite and the car is more likely to be affected by every
vertical movement of the wheels (buckboard ?).

It's not merely the ratio though as any moving unsprung parts (wishbones,
WHEELS, TYRES) have there own inertia which needs to be overcome to send the
suspension skyward.

The experts say that any suspension component which is not supported by the
spring but are hinged to the chassis (eg wishbones, leaf springs, driveshaft
on a 105 but not on a 116) contribute half of thier weight to both sprung
and unsprung calculations.

And, a torsion bar is all sprung weight.

Beatle
Oz