[alfa] The gauge that cried wolf

Brian wrote "I've got VDO gauges in my Spider. They have black bezels, instead of the chromed bezels on the stock gauges. Other than that, and the color of the indicators and such they fit in the housings just fine."

Not to dispute what Brian has, but VDO has at least ten different lines of aftermarket gauges, including a very nice black bezel, black face, white number, orange pointer line which may be what he has, but they also have a "Series 1" line which "was designed to provide the classic style of the 50s and 60s while maintaining all the modern functions of today. A brilliant chrome ring accents the classic black dial and white pointer. This line adapts equally well to a modern race car or a retro custom project." The line includes generic temperature gauges as well as labeled water temperature, oil temperature, transmission temperature, pressures, vacuum, turbocharger pressure, fuel levels, ammeters, voltmeter, clock, and both programable and non-programable speedometers and tachometers. As far as I know they are not available with Italian-language labels, metric units, or the variety of sizes, orientations and redlines used on speedometers and tachometers in various Alfas of the classic periods, but otherwise they are about all one could want.

General information on the VDO options is available online at www.vdona.com. and more extensive information and response to technical questions by email at aftermktproduct@domain.elided.

The transmission temperature gauge reminded me of an "Autocar" reporter's comment about the transmission and differential temperature gauges on a Cunningham at Le Mans: "Such information is seldom useful and often disturbing." Viva Britannia!

John H.
Raleigh N.C.

164
Milano