[alfa] Re: Brake light upgrade-Now LED's

At 9:24 PM +0000 8/25/04, alfa-digest wrote:
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:37:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: Nash Bap <nashbap@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Brake light upgrade-Now LED's

Has anyone tried using LED replacement lights in their vehicles? These are LED clusters within a common base such as a 1157 or 1156 type which is what is used in most of our Alfas. I think these clusters are much brighter overall, use very little current and produce less heat.
When cheap LED replacements for 1156 and 1157 bulbs first became available via local retail shops, I tried them in a Milano, because a switch to LED's in that car's rear lights seemed like an obvious solution to the inadequate grounding problem that the Milano's rear lights suffer from. Those bulbs were completely awful. They didn't produce much light, and it all went in one direction, which is not what the optics in the taillights were designed for. Much better LED replacement bulbs have always been available for $20 and up, but I've never felt like spending that much money for an experiment. I've recently noticed that local auto parts stores have started carrying seemingly higher-quality LED replacement bulbs for ~$10, but I'm not sure I'd count on them to be as bright as OEM incandescent bulbs. I'd love to hear from anyone who has tried such bulbs with any success. Here are some sources I've found:
http://www.wixtools.com/html/ultraleds.html
http://www.ledtronics.com/datasheets/intermedbase_index/intermed_index.htm
http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm

Joe Elliott