[alfa] Re: valve cover gasket for spider

Patrick,

You said the leak started after your mechanic did a valve adjustment job.

Check the washers under the cam cover bolts - usually there are four fiber washers and two metal ones. The metal ones are for the rear two bolts and the four fiber ones go under the front and middle bolts. The metal ones help put more pressure on the rubber half-moons at the rear of the head.

If the metal ones are out of place (which is a common occurrence), the cover will leak oil. Don't over-tighten the cover bolts!

I wonder if anyone has tried the cam cover gasket that IAP (Centerline?) advertizes.. it's supposedly some soft Silicone type of materiel that takes very little force for a good seal. Expensive, but might be worth every penny to stop those pesky leaks. Also, if the rear half moons leak, cleaning the oil off of everything and applying just a *bit* of silicone sealant, then tightening down while it cures can make the difference. Make sure you don't have any oozing out on the inside, wipe it off before it can get into the engine!!

Mine has been doing fairly well, someone (probably Bill at Alfa Only) had one well glued onto the cover, and the gasket has a (deteriorating) rubber bead on it's exposed surface.

I remember hearing a POP once while tightening a cover bolt, but no crack appeared in my cover.. then I've later had problems with stripping cam bearing studs.. wonder if it's possible to damage them that way? Another good reason for a way to get a good seal without a lot of force..

Jon
77 Spider