[alfa] RE: valve cover gasket for spider

Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 18:00:05 -0400
From: "Brian Shorey" <bshorey@domain.elided>

> I am showing there to be a little oil surrounding my sparkl
> plugs on my 79 spider lately. The last thing that may have
> happened that may cause this was that I had my valves
> checked/ adjusted about a year ago and seem to remember tha
> the tech said that he was able to reuse my original valve
> cover gasket. That didn't make a lot of sense to me , but I
> figured, he should know what he is talking about. So I payted
> little mind. I then noticed a little leakage around the spark
> plugs, could thid just mean that I need to replace the valve
> cover gasket? If so, are there any gotvhas that I need to
> watch out for, ex. torques, proper sealant, that sort of
> thing? I look forward to your words of wisdom. Thanks,

Brian writes:

The most common cause of this, in my experience, is a loose oil cap.
Remove
the cap, bend the tabs a little bit to increase tightening action, and
replace the cap.  See if that doesn't cure your problem.

I agree with Brian as to the cause, but not the cure.  IMHO that the
reason the cap is loose and thus leaking is that the rubber ring seal in
the cap is old and hard.  The seal is usually available individually from
one of the usual vendors (IAP, etc.) for cheap.  It is normally included
in both the partial and full gasket kits but installation is often
overlooked.  I'ld be willing to wager that when you change it, the old
one will be brittle enough to break in two.  Except in the heat of
racing, best avoid bending things or 'beat-to-fit' installation
proceedures wherever possible.

As for valve cover sealant recommendations, a thin smear of Hylomar is
tough to beat.

Graham L. Davis