[alfa] Re: valve cover gasket for spider

In a message dated 8/10/2004 3:38:39 PM Central Standard Time,
crawfordpat@domain.elided writes:

To  all,
I am showing there to be a little oil surrounding my sparkl plugs on  my 79
spider lately. The last thing that may have happened that may cause this  was
that I had my valves checked/ adjusted about a year ago and seem to  remember
tha the tech said that he was able to reuse my original valve cover  gasket.
That didn't make a lot of sense to me , but I figured, he should know  what he
is talking about. So I payted little mind. I then noticed a little  leakage
around the spark plugs, could thid just mean that I need to replace  the valve
cover gasket? If so, are there any gotvhas that I need to watch out  for, ex.
torques, proper sealant, that sort of thing? I look forward to your  words of
wisdom.
Thanks,

Patrick  Crawford

Not much to worry about.  Suck the oil out  with a turkey baster if it gets
too deep.
    I use valve cover gaskets until they are totally  gone / broken.  Glue
the gasket to the valve cover with  Aviation Permatex and use some grease / anti
seize on the side that mates  to the head.  The newer gaskets have a line of
rubber that seals the side  toward the head.  However, the line of rubber is
usually the first thing to  break down, so I put grease where the rubber used
to be.  The rubber,  grease / anti seize allows the valve cover to come off
easily a number of times  before it needs replaced.
    No gotchas other than if you tighten the valve  cover nuts too tight, you
can crack the valve cover.  And the two rubber  half moons at the back of the
valve cover need to be there.
    I suggest you remove your valve cover about every  other oil change.
There is half a quart of dirty oil left over  otherwise.  You do want to change
all the oil, don't you?
    I also like to drop the bottom of the oil sump  every few oil changes.
With all the baffles down there, a lot of grunge  accumulates.  Use silly cone
sealer sparingly as the stock gasket for the  oil sump is about impossible to
get in place without ripping it.

Ciao,
Russ  Neely
Oklahoma City