[alfa] Alfas in Crete

Three years ago I had a vacation in Rhodes and reported my Alfa sightings
there. I have just returned from two very enjoyable weeks in Crete and thought
I'd just give a flavour of what the Greeks are driving there. Crete has one
truly major highway that runs along its north coast for about 150 miles. Other
roads are what you might call rural in nature, though this is a simplification
for the sake of brevity.

New Alfas are selling quite well as there are a notable number of 147 and 156
models to be seen, and there is a modern Alfa/Lancia/Fiat dealership just
outside the town of Rethimnon. The vast majority are 1.6 litre cars, with the
occasional 1.8, but I did not see a 2.0 litre. 146 models were the next most
plentiful, followed by a few 155s and ageing 33s. What might not surprise you
is that there were a noticeable number of Alfa 75s (Milanos) being kept in
excellent condition for their age. They are clearly still held in high regard
by their owners. I saw one new Spider, but no old ones, only one 164 and no
166s, and just when I was despairing of seeing any 'older' Alfas I saw a
fairly battle worn Alfetta saloon/sedan with front wheels well splayed out on
my way to the airport.

Cousin FIAT clearly has a success story on its hands at long last. The new
Panda was greatly in evidence. I have not yet heard a bad word about it yet.
Older Fiats still abound, but the initiative on Crete is with the Koreans
where I saw far more KIA cars than I expected, and Hyundai already well
established over the last decade. For my money KIA are the one to watch as
every new car they produce is very much better than the last, and they are as
cheap as peanuts to buy.

My hire car was a 1 litre Nissan Micra, which was roomy and rode well. Steery
was rubbery, gearchange just dreadful. I wouldn't buy one, though it carried
four of us faithfully up and down mountain passes for two weeks, so I can't
complain.

There nothing earth shattering here, so I've kept it shortish.

Tim Hancock   Boston UK

164TS
164Super