[alfa] Brake pad insulator question

Aallen Mitchell asks: "Anybody have any suggestions for insulating shims/material to go between the brake pad and the caliper piston?"

******

Funny, I just had the opposite problem. Just bought a set of front pads for my Alfetta GT from Centerline. When I opened the Axxis Deluxe plus box, there were five (?) metal plates the same shape as the pads. Of course I immediately assumed they were to go between the pad and the rotor - to save wear on the pad material.

No?

Actually I was sure they were something to do with brake squeal but couldn't figure out why adding thin plates and what to me appears as increasing the possibility of additional brake squeal would help. Checking with Centerline they confirmed both - yes, they're for brake squeal, no, it doesn't always cure it. It was suggested I use the appropriate goop on both sides of the plates. I then asked Steve if he used the plates. He admitted he didn't bother and just used the goop on the back of the pad.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA