Re: [alfa] Re: Air conditioning question (not Alfa specific)

Hi Greg;

Not to put too fine a point on it, but nitrogenous wastes produced by your body, ammonia among them, are quite poisonous to your body, given elevated concentrations. That's one of the several reasons why we've got kidneys. I don't know a thing about why we've got EPA approval for some refrigerants and not others, or anything about ammonia as a refrigerant, but I do know that inhaled ammonia vapors, in sufficient concentrations (as low as ~ 2500ppm), can certainly cause fatal respiratory arrest from pulmonary edema. Discomfort can occur at ~20ppm, and permanent blindness can quickly result at ~700ppm. I saw a patient a few years ago in the ER that had some pretty bad esophageal irritation and bronchial spasms from a leaky refrigerator (charged with ammonia) in his multi-hundred thousand dollar motor home.