[alfa] Re:tranny & diff lubricants

Jeff Greenfeild pointed out:

 One word of caution regarding redline and synthetic oils in
 general.

 In a spider transmission you want to use MT-90. This is the
 same oil as the 75w90 but without the friction modifiers
 needed for a limited slip diff. These friction modifiers
 make the oil more 'slippery' so to speak. This makes the
 oil too slick and as a result does not allow the
 synchronizers to work properly.

 I've used MTL and MT-90 in alfa transmissions (and many
 others) with very good results. However the MTL seems a
 little too light for an Alfa so the MT-90 is a better
 choice.

 If the synchros are in good shape to begin with there
 should be no problems. If they are on the fringe it might
 help. If they are gone, most likely nothing short of an
 overhaul will help a tired gearbox.

 No problem with the 75w90 in the diff if you want to use it
 there.

 HTH,

 Jeff
Thanks!
My bad! I forgot to paste a line... ( grr )

I meant to add that I have also been using the 75W90NS in the tranny which is a GL5 - the MTL is a GL4 :

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp?pvID=109&prodID=57&subcatID=18

There, that's better.

jeff
--