From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided] On Behalf Of jeff
clark
Sent: Sunday, August 01, 2004 12:20 PM
To: alfa-digest@domain.elided
Subject: [alfa] Re:tranny & diff lubricants

>  Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 21:00:17 -0400
>From: "Gwynne W. Spencer" <gwynnes1@domain.elided>
>Subject: [alfa] tranny & diff lubricants
>
>  Anticipating a routine lubricant change in tye transmission
>  and differential on a 1993 Spider Veloce - have ther been
>  experiences with some of the "modern" synthetic oils that
>  would suggest replacing the Alfa recommended ones?
>
>  For instance, in the tranny Red Line MTL maybe??  or
>  something else??
>
>  In the diff (limited slip, I believe) any suggestions.
>
>  Just as a reminder, Alfa recommended the following for both
>  Tranny and Diff:
>
>  SAE 80W/90 API GLS            Shell SPIRAX HD 80W/90
>
>  One last question. I believe that the older 105 cars used a
>  17 mm hex key for the drain and fill plugs - is this still
>  the right tool?
>
>  Gwynne Spencer

Oh boy - an oil question!
I have liked ( for 20ish years ) Redline 75W90 for both tranny and diff.
Great cold performance  ( it shifts! ), and it must work when it's
warm/hot, 'cause it has never seized (  or gone dry ).
It's a local brand to my area.

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp?pvID=81&prodID=60&subc
atID=20

Other people love the Shell, though I have no experience with that.
Well, I guess that about wraps up this oil topic....
:)

jeff
support your local brewery, uhh...*refinery*, yaa, that's it...

--

jeff clark
82 Spider Veloce