[alfa] Re:tranny & diff lubricants

 Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 21:00:17 -0400
From: "Gwynne W. Spencer" <gwynnes1@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] tranny & diff lubricants

 Anticipating a routine lubricant change in tye transmission
 and differential on a 1993 Spider Veloce - have ther been
 experiences with some of the "modern" synthetic oils that
 would suggest replacing the Alfa recommended ones?

 For instance, in the tranny Red Line MTL maybe??  or
 something else??

 In the diff (limited slip, I believe) any suggestions.

 Just as a reminder, Alfa recommended the following for both
 Tranny and Diff:

 SAE 80W/90 API GLS            Shell SPIRAX HD 80W/90

 One last question. I believe that the older 105 cars used a
 17 mm hex key for the drain and fill plugs - is this still
 the right tool?

 Gwynne Spencer
Oh boy - an oil question!
I have liked ( for 20ish years ) Redline 75W90 for both tranny and diff.
Great cold performance ( it shifts! ), and it must work when it's warm/hot, 'cause it has never seized ( or gone dry ).
It's a local brand to my area.

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp?pvID=81&prodID=60&subcatID=20

Other people love the Shell, though I have no experience with that.
Well, I guess that about wraps up this oil topic....
:)

jeff
support your local brewery, uhh...*refinery*, yaa, that's it...

--

jeff clark
82 Spider Veloce