[alfa] Quick test to see if a Spica FI Pump is basically dead or alive?

I have a quick question from a friend who is "off-list". He has a 78 Spider he is trying to get back on the road. The body restoration is fabulous! But the engine only starts then promptly dies....
Having replaced the filters, he suspects the Spica FI pump went south on him. It *did* have a rusty gas tank when he first ran it. Though he fixed that, who knows what gunk got past the old filters, or what damage it may have done.

So my question. Is there a simple way he could check to see if the FI pump is dead or alive? I was thinking he could probably do one of 2 things. First, if he pulled the plugs and had someone turn it over, could he see (with a flashlight) the fuel getting injected? Would that be a good indication that the pump at least works? That maybe it just needs adjustment?

My other thought was, perhaps he could loosen the injectors where they screw into the head.... Wouldn't fuel seeping out from the loose connection give a good indication?

Any thoughts?

Many Thanks,
Jeffery Francom