re: [alfa] gtv6 & maserati khamsin

Reading about the visual similarities between one
of my all time favorite dream cars, the Khamsin,
and my Alfetta Sprint Veloce really caught me by
surprise.   I had never noticed the similarities
until Danny's post brought it up.  Maybe due to my
experience driving in (as passenger,
unfortunately, I was too young to drive at the
time) and seeing the Khamsin in real life, I
hadn't made connection.  In person, the Khamsin is
much wider, lower, and longer, and I've yet to see
a photograph that really does justice to it's
design in 3D.  I had always thought the Alfetta
looked like the Lamborghini Urraco (another
favorite of mine), which, like the Maser, was
designed by Gandini while he worked under Bertone.
BTW;  the door handles of the Maser are different
from the Alfetta, but it does share it's tail
lights with some Berlinas and Bertone GTVs.
Another post in this string mentioned two
different tail treatments used on the Khamsin.
For cars officially imported to the US, the tail
lights were not floating in the vertical rear
glass panel, instead, they placed them below the
glass, right above the bumper, making it look like
they had fallen off and were just propped up on
top of the bumper.  It was really unsightly, and
while I assumed it had to do with some US
regulation, I haven't a clue as to what it would
have been for (since the glass tail remained, as
did the style of tail lights, so....??).

- Jeff Barhoum
  SF, CA

  '76 Alfetta Sedan
  '77 Alfetta Sedan