[alfa] Carbon fiber Spider hoods

I be the one who started the thread under the above subject heading.

I began it off Digest with Russ Neely during the "hiatus" discussing racing applications, since I know this is near and dear to his heart.

Russ and I have great differences as to the most important priorities and what is to be achieved, but really like his "can do" attitude. One of his comments is that if he wanted a carbon fiber hood he would make his own in fiberglass since it is lighter. I commented about the high quality of the sample part I saw. Later he admitted the first time he worked with fiberglass he was barefoot, in shorts and a T-shirt. Apparently he has finally gotten over the itching.

He also mentioned not all classes and not all racing "venues" / clubs allow substitution of (lighter) body panels. I told him should I pursue the CF hoods, I need to learn more about the various racing rules and a lot more about carbon fiber itself.

In Digests #244 & 245 (should you also subscribe to the bound versions) there was a tremendous amount of information thanks to John Fielding, Ron Horowitz, and Mark Battley.

I do want to challenge Ron. He says, "...steel gets fixed with a hammer and dolly, while fiber gets "fixed" by cutting patching, slopping, gooing, curing, gel coating, sanding, whatever. I'd rather work with steel than fiber-anything..."

I certainly won't say I could fairly easily repair a "fiber-anything" hood but, Ron, find a somewhat seriously dinged upward Spider hood. You have to come down here of course with the hood (at your own expense) and do the hammer and dolly bit. One catch, you also have to make sure after completing the process, the rest of the hood is straight - then apply two coats of high build primer (at your own expense). I'll do the sanding, then chalk mark the high and low spots. Betcha I could keep you busy for at least a solid week if not forever chasing low and high spots.

The guys I'm talking to are Asian but say all work is done "in-house" in their shop. Since their turn around time is so quick, doubt if a Chinese freighter could make it here in time. I plan on visiting their shop and asking some of the questions which came up in John, Ron, and Mark's posts. I got the impression the head guy does most of the laying up, though he says he has helpers ($8 guys I assume).

Kind of off the subject but believe it was in 19 ought 89, maybe 90, at a home in Monterey where Giotto Bizzarrini visited a group of us people of the Abarth (I've had other lives) persuasion. As he stood in the living room, spoke and answered questions, his son and gray haired wife (right out of central casting for an Italian grandmother) stood behind him. He mentioned when he opened his own business his wife became the expert on the laying up of fiberglass. Wonder if he paid her the equivalent (or more) of $8 an hour. Fun evening.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA