[alfa] Berlina Speedo problems

Hi, All: Trying to fix the Jaeger speedo on my '72 Berlina, and I'm
getting my butt kicked for such a simple system, so I thought I'd appeal
to the wisdom of the list. The speedo in this car has never worked since
I got it...the cable was broken internally, so I tried a used one-no joy.
I can connect a cable to the trans, leave it disconnected and spin the
wheels of the car-cable turns. When I connect to the speedo and turn the
cable with a drill...nada. There is a small brass thingie on the forward
end of the speedo head that spins freely. (Cable passes through this to
mate to speedo). I think this is spacing the cable too far away and
preventing the cable from inserting correctly into the speedo head. This
brass piece seems firmly inserted into the speedo cable receptacle-can't
remove it with pliers. I  have a new, supposedly proper cable from the
dealer, but there's a mismatch somewhere. Any thoughts? The cable has no
P/N on it, but if anyone can give insight, it would be greatly
appreciated. It frustrates me to be stumped by such a simple system...it
has only three parts-the drive, the cable and the speedo head. What
gives?                                                  Thanks,                                                  Pat
Hood-Sweltering in SeattleBTW- Great big thanks to Richard for hanging in
there. Life without the digest-worth living?