[alfa] mystery oil leak

I took my '77 spider out last week. It has been sitting for a few weeks (at least, maybe more). When I got to the end of the driveway I looked forward again and saw a trail of oil from the garage all the way to the car - about 4 or 6 car lengths. It was a continuous line of oil - not just drips - from near the center line of the car. I immediately pulled back in, lifted the front end of the car and got under to look for the source. There was a lot of oil on the cardboard I leave under the car in garage. (I can't honestly say the oil wasn't there before I went out.) The oil seemed to be near the back of the engine. The drain plug was still in, the oil filter wasn't cracked or loose - there was no oil around or under it. I couldn't see an obvious source. There was oil around the transmission and a some drops on the bottom side of the oil pan, but the car isn't free of oil at the best of times.

Today I tried again to find the leak. With the car still lifted in the front I added more oil so I could start it and not worry about low oil. I started it and there were no leaks. Certainly nothing like the large amount of flow that left a line as I drove out of the driveway. I couldn't see anything dripping. The car was idling very low and poorly, but that might be unrelated. I took the car off the jack stands and, of course, now it's over-full with oil. The transmission was very low on fluid so I added about 1/2 a quart.

When I start the car again, put it in gear and move it there is still no leak. I'm confused. I don't understand how so much oil could come out one time and apparently nothing now. Could sitting for a while have cause a gasket to leak until it moistened up? That has never happened when it sits all winter so it doesn't seem right that a few weeks would do it. Any ideas?