[alfa] Autometer Oil Guages

I found the stock electric oil pressure gauge on my 73 Spider to be worthless many years ago.
So I replace it with an Autometer mechanical gauge that fit right into the console with a bit of
work. Problem was that engine vibration caused the copper sending tube to fatigue right at the
fitting on the engine. This, of course, caused the engine to spray the entire contents of the crankcase
all over creation, and if you don't happen to notice it, run the risk of losing the entire engine.
That happened three times. First time because I didn't anticipate the problem, second time because
I hadn't figured out how to solve it. (I did solve it by securing the line to clamp on an empty bolt
hole on a carb. and then putting a couple loops in the line to absorb the vibration) This last time it
went after I had some head work done and the mechanic didn't understand the problem and I let
it slip.

Finally I have now discovered Autometer (available throughout International Auto Parts at the tune of
about $65) sells a braided stainless sender tube. I just got it in, and THAT is the final solution.
Anybody with a copper line might want to take a hard look at it and consider the stainless as
an alternative.

--
John E. Newhagen Ph.D.
Associate Professor