[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V10 #228

I put a 3-liter engine in mine and wouldn't change it back for any
amount of money. It's that much better. And you can look at it this
way. If Alfa had made the GTV-6 for a couple of more years, it would
have had both the Milano Verde engine dropped into it as well as the
Milano Power Steering, so all you're doing is anticipating the next
change to the model had that change taken place.

About air conditioning. The original GTV-6 AC was anemic to begin with
and simply changing to R134 will make it unacceptable. What you need to
do if you're going to refurbish and update your air conditioning is the
following:

1) Lose your original York piston type compressor. It is very
inefficient and trouble-prone, and I've heard that it doesn't work very
well with R134. Replace it with a Sanken unit from a BMW, SAAB or late
model Milano. These seem to tolerate sitting unused for a long time
without the seals drying up.

2) Your condenser (the small radiator-like device in front of the car's
engine radiator) is totally inadequate for R134. Find a shop that can
fabricate new condensers (my mechanic used a shop in LA) and send them
yours for a pattern and tell them that it needs half-again more
capacity than the stock one. It cost me about $250 to have mine built.
This is actually a good deal because that's somewhat cheaper than what
Alfa Ricambi charged for new stock ones (when they were available -
they aren't any more).

3) if your GTV-6 doesn't have the optional 'Tropic-Aire' auxiliary heat
exchanger and squirrel-cage fan in the cabin, neither of the above,
will do you much good. Find one. You can tell them by the cylindrical
bulge below the dash in the passenger footwell. You'll need it all,
though: The motor, the fan, the auxiliary heat exchanger, the entire
fan switch assembly and all the ducting.

4) Use a GM dryer from a recent model car. These are more reliable than
the original factory units and work better with R134. Any Automotive
A/C shop should be able to make to fittings to adapt to these disparate
parts. Air conditioning systems, more than any other, are the prime
example of "parts-is-parts". All modern ones work the same way and
except for the variations in the threads and size of various gas-tight
fittings, you can mix and match parts as needed.

My R134 upgraded Tropic-Aire system in my GTV-6 takes a few minutes to
get going, but once it does, 36 degree F air emerges from the dash
vents and it will keep the car comfortable on pretty much the warmest
days.

Good luck.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0 'S'