[alfa] Re: Control Arm Caster Bushing

Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 12:46:07 -0400

Tarus Balog wrote:

While working on my brakes this weekend, I noticed that the front upper
caster control arm bushings are shot on both sides.

Two questions:

1) I've decided to replace them with polyurethane bushings. Is this a
bad idea?

Very good idea!

2) It looks like I can just remove the bolt that passes through the
bushing, swing the control arm out of the way, replace the bushing and
move it back. I realize I'll need to realign the front after I do this,
but is it really that simple?

No, it's not that simple (sometimes).  Note that the heads of the 10mm
forward-facing bolts are 'blind', that is they are buried in the chassis
from view.  To wrench them, you will need a 3/8 drive rachet, 2"
extension and a 17mm deep socket, preferably an impact socket these are
typically not deeply recessed (helps to push the bolt into position for
re-assembly).  Obviously, access to the nut end is no problem.  The other
issue and pray it doesn't happen to you is if the bolt is rust-frozen
inside the bushing sleeve.  If so, the only way I know to remove it
having tried penetrating fluids ranging from the inexpensive to the
exotics is with the infamous 'blue wrench' welding torch but buy your
replacement fastener/s before proceeding further.  The correct Grade 8
size is 10mm x  95mm long x 1.25 thread and get new nylock nuts while
you're at it.  Just torch the rubber out of the bushing, don't try to
flame-cut the sleeve and bolt; the rubber only takes a second.  Then use
a stubby hacksaw or better, if you have air, a $30 on-sale body saw from
Harbor Freight Tools (NFI) to cut the sleeve and bolt twice; once on each
side of the arm and away from the chassis bosses.  The space between the
bosses is 50mm so you will have to cut the 60mm spacers supplied with the
urethane bushes to fit.  Also, I've had the circumstance of the arms
'walking' longitudinally on the bushings so to prevent that I shim each
one fore and aft with two pair of 3/4# washers from the hardware store.
You'll love the handling improvement BTW.

Graham L. Davis

St. Louis, MO