Dean
Lutz, FL
'74 & '87 Spider Veloce's

At 01:08 PM 7/19/2004, you wrote:

Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 10:01:25 -0500
From: "Andy Menapace" <Andy.Menapace@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] SPICA air box/ Leave well enough alone

Hey Y'all,

The Spider is fantastic!  All I need to do now is enjoy it as long as I
can before something goes wrong.... but wait I could add a sump guard!
Oh yeah, I could take those K&N filters off and put the stock air box
back on!  I hear they work better anyway!  Then the voice of reason
says, "Leave well enough alone".  What the hell does he know!

Well, the sump guard sits so low that I bottom out everywhere and I
cringe at every hill and dip I see!  It's coming off!  And the SPICA air
box is causing a bad ping!  Well, I assume that is the problem.  And so
my post:  Could the SPICA air box cause a ping due to the restriction of
air when compared to K&N air filters?  Can I tune the ping out (ignition
timing)? Should I?  I was running on 87 Octane with no problems using
the K&Ns.  Unless convinced otherwise, I'll switch back to the K&N
setup.

Andy Menapace
79 Spider
Brandon, MS