[alfa] Sucking Brake Fluid

I figured the title might catch folks' eyes (grin).

I am pretty new to maintaining my Alfa (1986 Spider Veloce) so I hope folks will indulge my numerous questions.

I worked on the brakes this weekend, and I wanted to change the brake fluid. The fluid chamber, however, had two compartments, and I couldn't figure out a way to get to the second one and suck out all of the old fluid. I ended up draining it out through one of the brake lines (at the caliper) by using new fluid to push it out, but it did mix a bit.

I'd rather be able to get as much old fluid out as possible before bleeding the brakes at the calipers - does anyone have a good suggestion?

-T

P.S. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice about brake pads. I ended up using Ferodo pads that were on sale at IAP (not the high performance ones).