Re: [alfa] Re: installing roll bar on Spider

I was expecting to hear from you...

On Jul 19, 2004, at 5:00 AM, Brian Shorey wrote:
I don't see where the stiffness is added with a roll bar of any height.
I feel more stiffness. Maybe it's psychological, but if I'm more comfortable and the car seems to creak less to me then I'm fine with that.

I think Skip is right. Further, technically you really don't want to be
bolted in with shoulder harnesses if you've got a rollbar that doesn't
protrude above the top of your head. If your rollbar isn't going to keep
your head from hitting the ground when you're upside down, then you really
don't want your body held firmly in that upright position.
I know on this one - but it was much easier than trying to retrofit 3pts, I figured it would do a better job in 99% of the wrecks I might experience, and... my mom made me do it.

I'm not an expert, but there's a couple of things I'd consider changing.
First, I'm not sure of what the effect is of bolting a bar on top of carpet
is. It might seem nice and snug now, but over time, as the carpet
deteriorates, the result might be some slack in the base mounting hardware.
I think the common practice is to raise the carpets (or rubber mats, or
whatever), bolt the rollbar metal against metal, then cut the carpets to fit
around the base of the bar.
That part has changed... it still looks like it's through carpet, but that's just because the carpet got crushed around it. Bare metal all the way.

Second, I don't know what the effects are of bolting the harness to the bar.
I think it's considered acceptable to use the bar as a guide for the belts
(you absolutely want to make sure that the belts don't pull 'down' on your
back), but I think you really want to make sure the belts are secured to the
base of the vehicle, not the bar.
I was told by a couple of people that the best way was to actually weld in a harness mount that crosses at around the right level and bolt them in there. Because I couldn't do this, I did what I felt was the next best thing.

Keep the shiny side up
Ben Kaupp
'78 Spider (rolls down the street, not off the street)