[alfa] Seat Belts

Randy Long asks: "Some advise from the group please..... I want to
install 3 pt. seat belts in my 73 Spider and am unsure if any mounting
points exist to the outside of the seats, near the door jambs. Are they
there? If not, how is the best way to install a mounting point? Where is
the best source for after market belts? thanks in advance!"

********

I appreciate Brian Shorey mentioning my diagonal seatbelt "kit". I only
sell by the pair. Included are non-Alfa seat belt guides. I needed
something reasonably readily available and wanted the guide to be
unobtrusive -as opposed the very obtrusive Series 4 (and possible late
Series 3). The Alfa rubber / metal guide would work better for those
with a long torso, though.

Originally I'd hoped the belt anchor in the back of Spiders might work
(not sure about Duettos, but '69 Spiders have the mount as do all other
later Spiders). I don't use it. The reel is somewhat bulky and with the
top down, there would be way too much interference. I show on my site
(http://www.alfacybersite.com/ACSDiagSpdSBlt.html) they're to be mounted
in the far rear next to the interior wheel well. you'll need to drill a
largish hole. All hardware is included for mounting, including thick
three inch fender washers. I also make a minor (legal) modification to
the reel which makes them more user friendly. I do wish the retracting
spring was a bit heavier, but afraid I couldn't talk the (European)
factory into doing so.

I believe it was Richard who mentioned you'd then use the existing holes
in the inside sill area and center tunnel.

Also included are extensive instructions.

Hope this helps.

Biba

Can't remember if I've mentioned this but have been looking for a new /
available diagonal belt without the reel. l found one and gave it a try.
Once everything is hooked up and adjusted, they work pretty well - on
the driver's side. Since they clip onto eyebolts, there is not enough
room on the passenger side to attach. The other major bugaboo is to
adjust the length of the main belt, you have to remove the bolt in the
back (I used the existing mounting point in the rear) to adjust the
length. Not a good design. They would have sold for about $120 a pair.

There are a couple of other slight modifications I'd like to make to the
belts I sell. So if about a thousand of you Spider owners run to PayPal
and send in your money (might be a bit of a wait before you get your
belts) I'll see if I can get the manufacturers attention a bit better
than, "We'll take your suggestions under advisement."