[alfa] Tyres (sic) Again

Beatle, I appreciate your efforts regarding the size of tyre, oops, tire you're using. Had hoped to hear from a 15" Duetto owner, but any info is helpful. Did you say you are using Yokohama Avid H4's (195/65-14)? I just measured a brand new one and it was just a hair over your measurement at 75.5 inches.

Having just been "shopping" for Spider seats in the "Original Alfa Romeo Spider" book, I noted the paragraph which reads: "Strangely Alfa Romeo opted to keep the shorter 4.55:1 (as used on the Duetto) final drive instead of the 4.3:1 ratio usually fitted in Europe (for the '69 Spider), but the limited -slip differential option was still available."

This is a general question to all, but gear ratios and final drive ratios have always been a huge mystery to me. Sorry to have to admit it in print, but...: So's if I go taller (tyres / tires wise) than original on the '69 Round-Tail am I in even bigger trouble or am I correct that the Duetto, which has just been determined to have the same final drive as the '69 Round-Tail (and using Beatle's figure) "should" have a tire with the circumference of 77.8" and since this is a "shorter" final drive, it's okay to go a bit taller? Got that?

Turns out I have a couple of limited-slip diffs, which I assume would need rebuilding. Would one help or hurt my tall tire situation or not make a whit of difference?

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA --