RE: [alfa] Wheel Bearings

This is pretty common.

To check, jack the rear up and grab the rear wheel top and bottom and try to
'rock' it. Anything but the slightest amount of movement is too much.

To disassemble, remove the wheel, unbolt the brake caliper (if you remove
the pads first, you can usually slide the caliper off while keeping the
brake line connected and hang it aside). Disconnect the ebrake cable at the
diff (the one that runs to the wheel laterally), and ubolt the four nuts
that hold the backing plate to the axle ass'y.

At this point you should be able to withdraw the axle shaft from the tube.
Some persuasion in the form of a slide hammer might be required.

I usually remove the e-brake shoes from the backing plate for the next step,
although you might be able to this without doing so, but do so at your own
risk.

Jig the shaft up in a shop press, and press the retainer off. In order to do
so, you will need to heat it considerably. You can now press the old bearing
off the axle.

Press the new bearing on after cleaning everything up. Warm the new
retainers up in the oven (I forget what temp, but I believe it is in the
manual) and press them on.

Install the new seals in the axle tube, and reassemble everything.

With all the right tools I can do both rear axle bearings in under 4 hours
assuming everything comes apart without too much difficulty and there are no
other surprises along the way.

HTH,

Jeff