[alfa] Re: GTV6-replacement for in-tank filter

Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 07:19:41 -0500
John Brase wrote:

I need to replace the fine mesh in-tank fuel filter (pre filter) in my
'84 GTV6.  IAP says they are NLA.

John

Try Jon Norman at Alfa Parts in Berkley CA.  He shows this item in his
catalog as I recall for about $28.  If he can't obtain it, assuming the
plastic filtration mesh is not ruptured, you may be able to clean it, at
least you should make an attempt.  After you drain the fuel tank, remove
the banjo coupling (GTV-6 only) from the tank filter then unscrew the
filter (32mm?) from the tank.  Invert the filter, threaded end up in a
coffee can, fill to cover with a strong water-soluble degreaser/cleaner
(I use an inexpensive brand labeled 'Purple Power' available at auto
supply stores and WalMart) and soak it overnight.  The next day, flush it
out from the stem-end with a series of hot water, compressed air and
finally with a can of 'Brake Kleen'.  You may be surprised.

Graham L. Davis