[alfa] Re: Header Coatings

In a message dated 7/1/2004 6:25:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time, owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided (alfa-digest) writes:
---------------------------

>Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 14:30:50 -0600
>From: "David Lee" <pdlee@domain.elided>
>Subject: [alfa] powder coating for header
>
>Hi, this is my first attempt to write a question/comment to the digest.
>Please bear with me if I goof.
>
>I recently acquired a '72 spider header that I intend to install in my 86
>Veloce Spider to improve power and torque.  To spiff it up, I wanted to
>powder-coat or somehow paint the cast iron OEM header to prevent rust and
>oily surface.  I was told there is no paint that can withstand the heat
>(what is the max temperature at the hearder?).  Does anyone out there in
>Alfa-land have any experience with substituting 70's header for 80's spiders
>and any experience in painting the header?
>
>Thanks.
>David
>76 spider
>89 Quad spider
>86 veloce spider
>Assorted British sports cars that cannot hold a candle to my Alfa's

David:

There are in fact some coatings that you can apply at home which will stand up to the heat of an exhaust header.  I have had good luck with the high temperature coating made by POR-15.  The grey finish is a good approximation of fresh cast iron.  Like all coatings, surface preparation is the key to success.  The header must be completely free of oil, dirt, and loose rust.  Ideally, you should have it media blasted, but that is not a requirement with the POR product.  It is applied with a brush (a little goes a long way, as the pint I bought was barely touched doing 4 headers) and allowed to air dry.  It must be heat cured, either in an old oven (NOT the one in your kitchen), using a UV heat lamp, or just by reinstalling the headers and driving.  I have had my coated headers on the car now for about 4 years and they have held up well.  Note that engine degreasers such as Gunk will stain the coating.

Eastwood sells a similar product called High Temp Coating that comes in cast iron grey.

You can of course have the headers professionally coated by Jet-Hot or some similar outfit, or have them ceramic coated.  Don't waste your time with the "high heat" or "exhaust paint" spray paints you find at Autozone and the like.  They are OK for some engine bay applications, but really don't stand up to the temperatures of a header.

Good Luck,

Arno Leskinen
Gilbert, AZ
102