[alfa] Re:powder coating for header

 Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 14:30:50 -0600
From: "David Lee" <pdlee@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] powder coating for header

 Hi, this is my first attempt to write a question/comment to
 the digest. Please bear with me if I goof.

 I recently acquired a '72 spider header that I intend to
 install in my 86 Veloce Spider to improve power and torque.
 To spiff it up, I wanted to powder-coat or somehow paint
 the cast iron OEM header to prevent rust and oily surface.
 I was told there is no paint that can withstand the heat
 (what is the max temperature at the hearder?).  Does anyone
 out there in Alfa-land have any experience with
 substituting 70's header for 80's spiders and any
 experience in painting the header?

 Thanks. David 76 spider 89 Quad spider 86 veloce spider
 Assorted British sports cars that cannot hold a candle to
 my Alfa's
Well.
I had my local powdercoaters send my 74 era headers off to another
powdercoater place nearby, and they put a nice grey inside/outside of
supposedly +1800 coating on them. Been running them for ~3months now
on my 82 spider, no complaints so far. $150 clams, though.
Ask your local powdercoating community, or maybe HPC. I've seen too
many JetHot jobs look bad after a bit of time ( this only applies to
motorcycle headers, though, almost exclusively 'clear' type coating ).
Eastwood has some paint ( that I bought! ) but have not tried, as it
made more sense ( to me ), after I found out about the powdercoat
option to have the prep done by the guy who would then shoot it.
--
jeff clark
82 Spider Veloce