[alfa] re: Carillo Rods

Carillo rods don't really offer a performance advantage.  However, they are less likely to stretch or break under extreme conditions.  So they allow sustained high rpm use where a stock rod might fail.  I can't really imagine a street application where they would be necessary, except perhaps a supercharged or turbo engine.

By the way, anyone ever see the result of a broken rod in an Alfa.  When I was a kid, my Dad's Giulietta race car broke a rod in qualifying.  It punched a hole in the side of the block.  We used aluminum from a Coke can, pop rivets, and epoxy glue to fix the hole, installed a new rod and raced the next day!

Erik