RE: [alfa] Inspecting suspension parts

> I'm trying to track down a small clunk in the front end of my '86
> Spider.   It's not really audible, but can be felt clearly through the
> steering wheel.   I feel it coming from the driver's side.   It seems
> to happen in a fore-aft manner.   Generally happens upon application
> of brakes, or heavy bumps...   not all the time.   Seems to flop in
> one direction ans stays there until the opposite motion causes it to
> flop back.    I never notice it at speed over relatively smooth
> pavement.
>
> I had the car up on stands and went over the various ball joints/tie
> rods/bushings.   I found a bad outer tie-rod end which I replaced (and
> it had a wonderful effect on steering) but the clunk is still there.
> Is there a more accurate method of tracking down problem
> parts other than pulling/pushing on various bits hoping to
> feel some slop?

I find putting the front end in the air and grabbing and moving the wheel to
be useful.  Using the wheel to move the suspension back and forth will give
you some good leverage.  Also, have somebody sit in the vehicle and move the
steering wheel back and forth, listen or feel below while they're doing
that.

However, one thing you might consider is simply rebushing everything in the
front end.  I did this on recommendation by Glynn a few years ago, the
transformation was pretty dramatic.

Even if you've only got one 'bad' ball joint, chances are if the car has
some miles on it the others are getting a little mushy.  Replace them all,
the labor really isn't that much more, and you end up with a brand new tight
suspension, just as it came from the factory.

You get used to driving these things as they age, some times it's nice to
drive them as they came from the factory, it's surprising how good they can
be!

bs