Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 00:56:52 -0400
From: Joe Elliott <jelliott@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Re: Loctite

At 2:13 AM +0000 6/30/04, alfa-digest wrote:
>Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 21:48:24 +0000
>From: "Allen Mitchell" <allenom@domain.elided>
>Hi-
>Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I think that "Green" Loctite
comes in
>2 forms:
>
>#270 "Maximum Strength"
>and
>#290 "Wicking grade"
>
>Which should we be using on the flywheel bolts?  #270 is apparently for
>fasteners 1 inch or larger in diameter???
>
>- -Al

The two green Loctite products that I'm familiar with are the #290
wicking grade for already-assembled parts, and #601 Retaining
Compound, which I call circlip-in-a-bottle.  And I'm not sure how
else to explain it.  It's a compound that retains round stuff, hence
the name, I guess.  I'm not familiar with #270, but my red #271
maximum strength threadlocker is intended for fasteners under 1" in
diameter, so it would make sense for #270 to be similarly strong, I
think.  I'd be inclined to use #271 on flywheel bolts, but I don't
really know what I'm talking about.

- -Joe

Graham L. Davis