[alfa] "Captive nuts"

Thanks everyone for the info. We now have riv-nuts, rivenuts, and nutserts as the correct names - and quite possibly they all are correct depending on brand. At least I now have something to Google with. I've never seen knurled ones but will look for them.

Jeff Matson talked about drilling the hole slightly undersized then gradually enlarging. Unfortunately the holes are already drilled. Yes, Beatle, this what I need to replace. Apparently many of you have had good luck with them. Unfortunately Alfa didn't. As Beatle emailed me, he found a bunch of pulled out ones on the floor of his Duetto. That is the rule for the one's on the Round-Tail.

I feel what happens is when the top is brand new, it puts a very big stress on the six riv-nuts (etc.) and they begin to pull out immediately. The panel should have had actual captive nuts, but the type which are spot welded on, rather than in a sheet metal cage. Though no one will see it, I hate to do it but will no doubt also add a sheet metal screw to each of the four tabs in the center and side rear.

Much appreciated,

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA