Re: [alfa] 95hp and 105hp Alfa Sud Engines

Anthony White wrote:
> Not sure how many of you there are out there with
> much knowledge of Alfa Suds, but though I'd ask
> anyway:  Can anyone advise what the exact
> differences were between the
> 95hp and the 105hp Alfa Sud engines?

There were several different variants of these engines (to
put it mildly), with various power outputs, so there is more
than one 95bhp boxer and more than one 105bhp boxer... but
if you're just looking at the ones in the Alfasud and not
the Alfa 33 or the late model Sprints, or special low
emmisions models, then you are looking at:

301.28 - The original twin carb 95bhp alfasud used the split
lobe camshaft design of the early single carb sud engines.
The design allowed valve clearance adjustment by allen key
(or special alfa tool) passed through a hole between the
split lobes of the camshaft.

http://www.alfisti.co.uk/boxerpage.htm
http://www.alfisti.co.uk/BoxerA-Z.htm

301.46 - The later 105bhp engine as fitted to the 1.5ti
Green Cloverleaf, used a more conventional solid camshaft
lobe with valve clearance adjustment by shims. You can't
swap cams/valves etc between the two different engines.

The differences that contributed to the higher power output
were mainly cam profile, ports and jetting. Details can be
found in the Haynes manual if you can get your hands on one.

There was also a 95bhp twin carb boxer fitted to the 1.5ti
GCL car for Australia, Sweden and others with more stringent
emission controls. My understanding is that this engine was
closer in specification to the 301.46 105bhp engine, but the
modifications required to pass emissions dropped the power
level to that of the earlier engine.

Best Regards
Lex Jenner
Auckland/New Zealand