Re: [alfa] Is this transmission toast?

At 11:59 PM 6/21/04, Kevin Trent wrote:

What happened is that one of the bronze bushes between one of the gears and
the main shaft tried to sieze to the main shaft due to lack of oil. Thus
the noise and the feeling of 'drag'. (If it had fully seized, the tranny
would have been essentially trying to be in two gears at once--fifth, which
you had engaged, and the one that was trying to seize, and thus locked
solid, unable to turn at all.)

It is most likely that it was either first or second gear that tried to
seize to the mainshaft, as these have the greatest speed differential
relative to the main shaft when in fifth gear.

There is a LOT of heat involved when this happens. It wouldn't be too
surprising if both the main shaft (pretty likely) and the gear involved
(less likely) are toast.

The strength of the main shaft is likely compromised due to softening from
the heat.

Fill it with oil and baby it for as long as you must, but plan on
rebuilding it with some parts needed pretty soon.

Where was it leaking ??

Greg